Sunday, 9 May 2010 | By: The Silver Feather

Defensive Driving


Honestly I never wanted to drive. I like to be driven. I've always delayed getting my driver's permit simply because as I said earlier I like to be driven. I mean as the passenger I get to stare out of the window, enjoy the moving scenery before me and even sleep in peace when I want. That and I am afraid of myself behind a wheel. I mean seriously think of the consequences LOL. Me behind a wheel? You have to be crazy! But I guess that it was all inevitable. I had to get my driver's permit there were no two ways about it. That and my friend dragged me along to get it.


Thankfully I passed the test in one shot and I've never really driven anything since then. I mean as far as I was concerned the mission was completed. I got the plastic nuff said nuff done. But I knew deep down that I have to pursue it I mean learning how to drive and driving yourself from point A to B is essential in this day in age.  Sadly put me behind a wheel now and I'm like a kid learning how to ride a bicycle. Yes I am ashamed but its the truth.

In any case as I re started my mission, my parents encouraged me to attend a defensive driving course, simply because it would teach me how to become a better driver and bottom line the insurance would be much cheaper. So I was all oh heck why not. I just had to find the time, which I eventually did, after much procrastination of course.

The class was a one-day class. Much to my relief it was scheduled to start at 8 am in the morn to 4 pm in the afternoon, a whole day event. Now allow me to translate that to Trini time. The class started at 8:45 am and finished at 3:45 pm. Yes start late finish early. The class was rather large, nice group of people, nice mix and the instructor was approachable and answered all questions, even silly ones.

The course manual though was American. It wasn't too bad though I have to give props to the Americans their manuals are so pretty and colourful. The most you'd get in a Trini manual is white paper and black ink. Maybe there'll also be the possibility of a photocopied picture that's terribly pixilated. Good stuff but back to the course.

It was very informative. In a sense I am glad that I decided to pursue this course before I started driving and before I developed bad habits. It was a lot to take in and a lot to purge out. Thus I highly recommend everyone to take in the course. However, be warned there were graphic videos and images and highly informative advertisements. All of which were used to get the point across. I believe now that I am scarred for life and unfortunately I retreated back into my shell.


I walked out of that session scared stupid. I was now a licensed driver afraid to drive.

As I walked down Edward Street and suspiciously peered at every parked car and every car that drove past me. I could not help but think how much it would be a dumb way to die. I don't want to be splattered on a road because of some bad decision on my part or worse yet someone else’s. Then I thought of how many thousands of people die each year in accidents. I thought of the people I knew or heard about who died in car accidents and how gruesome and frightening those last minutes was for them.

Accidents caused by inconsideration. Accidents cause because of carelessness. Accidents caused by meaningless distractions. Accidents caused by bad decisions.

After that evening I've developed a new found respect for the road, drivers and even the cars. I learnt about how much responsibility the driver has. The plastic I worked for months ago is more than just that. Sure it is an identification card, sure it is my pass to use a vehicle on the road, but it is power in the form of plastic. Power that I must harness, develop and properly use the moment I find myself behind the wheel of a vehicle.

I've decided that maybe driving is not such a bad thing. Maybe it’s something that I should take deeper consideration into and take seriously. Least I’ve decided that my mission will not remain incomplete. I will find myself on the road soon enough a more matured and a more responsible driver.





1 comments:

paper doll chronicles said...

Liked this one Maria, especially since I myself am actively procrastinating in getting my license. You addressed all the concerns, fears and realities of driving. good stuff! (again!) :)