Wednesday, 12 January 2011 | By: The Silver Feather

Like a Virgin

Today I write to you not only as a woman but more importantly as a virgin.
I am a 25 year old virgin in this modern day and age. Where sex has been advertised to me since before I could even grasp the concept of that three letter word.. S-E-X.
That is via television, radio, calypso, or what have you. Its a word that continues to mystify and arouse people's interest at the same time. In more ways than one. 

My blog today is just about surviving as a virgin in this day and age. Or simply just being one.  

To say that I'm a virgin seems almost taboo. 
More taboo than saying that,
Shhhhhh... 
Three letter word.

I mean its almost embarrassing really. 
More embarrassing than talking about, 
Shhhhhhh.....

Twenty years and what nothing ?
WOW something must be wrong with me I guess. 
I mean my social life must be lame. I work either too hard, 
Or 
WAIT
I must be one of those religious fanatics, you know those Catholics who talk about "No Sex before Marriage"  
and then multiply like rabbits soon afterwards?
Yeah One of those..

Actually......
NO.

I don't fully believe in no sex before marriage. 
Yes I'm Catholic.
And maybe I do work a bit too much. 
But the bottom line is 

IT'S MY CHOICE!!!!!!

Just like how people choose to have sex 
I choose not to have sex. 

And why..... I must be dreadfully ugly right?

Ummm... no.....

"Sex." The topic of "Sex" and the word "Sex" today is just so commercialized.
Things are sold and advertised just with the topic "Sex" in mind. After all it sells. 
There's the tagline "If you want it, just do it!"
For me, maybe because I'm influenced by my Catholic beliefs or teachings and then I reflect on the topic sometimes, I see it as something sacred. 

Something sacred that takes place between a man and a woman, a man and a man or woman and woman,  or whatever's your fancy (preferably human) rather than a stick it in and pull it out sort of thing. I see it as a private affair between two people who deeply care and trust each other on a higher level. 
This is my body. This is your body. This level of intimacy should be fulfilled between people who are mature and secure enough to carry on a relationship and are able to deal with the consequences, i.e. pregnancies etc, if anything should happen. Hence the reason why the Catholic Church preaches marriage. 

Sex is something that is unifying, no matter your Kama Sutra position. Its a unification of two people into something whole or one. In other words you are becoming one with your partner, you are becoming apart of them.

That's my personal view on sex and the reason why I have not ventured into that realm.

As I mentioned earlier. I respect people's opinions and decisions. However, what I dislike  is when people chastise me for who I am. 

So what if I'm a virgin?

Does that justify your mocking me, who I am and my decisions?
If so should does my calling you a slut, whore or what other derogatory name should be justified because of your actions, especially if you are not married or not in a committed relationship?
I don't think so. 

Maybe there are people out there who are in similar positions like me. 
Maybe there were people in similar positions like me who were pressured into this fulfilling act and came out with nothing, except hurt and huge disappointment, lowered self esteem and maybe even pregnant etc because they did not understand the entire concept. 

Then there are those who had a romp of a time. 

I believe that sex is a wonderful experience and its climax is often referred to as "la petite mort" a French metaphor for orgasm. Maybe I can further add its similar to the the action of a phoenix that dies within oneself only to relive again as somebody new. 

But how this act of intimacy is often described and the misconception often advertised or assumed is that one should get as much as possibly could as if its out of style. The pressure is immense. 

Some might assume that my thoughts are childish because of my inexperience but I believe that what people need to understand and respect is that its an individual's choice to give him or herself to another person.

When a person chooses to give of him or herself, it is THEIR CHOICE not yours.

1 comments:

Le Meow said...

Amazing! You are completely right girl, no one should judge another's choice when it comes to something so important and personal! Great writing, :)